Wednesday, November 17, 2021

An Office Visit

I went into the office yesterday for no specific reason other than to catch up with some colleagues and to take advantage of a free lunch.  Well, was it worth it?  It was definitely good to see some people who I haven't seen for nearly 2 years.  It wasn't quite so good to find out that some people had left our company and I had absolutely no idea.  Met some new colleagues and realized that there are even more Chinese in my group than before.  It's a real contradiction - I'm a white male in America yet within my department I'm in the extreme minority.  What else?  The commute was a real mixed bag.  Took me less than half an hour to get into the office, but the 1-1 with my manager ran late which meant that I left later than I hoped.  It should still have been before rush hour, but it didn't seem like it and there was an accident on the freeway so it took well over an hour to get home.  Was not happy about that, and if anything is going to stop me going into the office other than having to wear a mask all day - which we still have to do - it is an awful commute.  Took a walk round the neighborhood near the office - it was interesting to see how some things have changed (lots of overpriced new buildings) and how some things haven't changed (more construction, a lack of decent lunch options).  I think I might start coming into the office once or twice a week - but only for fleeting visits, and only to grab a free lunch or to go for lunch with friends from work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment