Friday, November 30, 2018

Empire

I used to subscribe to Empire Magazine, even when I moved to the US.  But I stopped subscribing and I stopped reading it a while ago – for lots of reasons: I no longer go to the cinema regularly, it seemed like the quality of the magazine had deteriorated with a high turnover of editors, and the expense and lag for when I received the magazine in the US was too much.  But even so, I like to keep an eye out for their end of year issue and particularly their list of the best movies of the year.  But having just seen the list this year, I am officially and totally done with the magazine.  When a supposedly credible film magazine ranks Avengers: Infinity War as the best film of 2018, that is the straw that breaks the camel’s back.  There is NO WAY that this is the best film of the year, it isn’t even a particularly good film.  No wonder print media is dying, this is a disgusting slap in the face for film aficionados who might actually still consider subscribing to your magazine.  Who makes this kind of decision?  I feel vindicated for no longer reading your crappy magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment