Monday, November 12, 2018

World War I Movies

What with it being Veteran's Day today - not a company holiday so I had to go into work, which is kind of disrespectful - plus the 100 year anniversary of the end of World War I yesterday, it got me thinking about World War I movies.  Why hasn't Hollywood embraced this genre?  There have been plenty of World War II movies, but no decent World War I movies that I can think of in my lifetime - even though there are so many great stories to be had.  In fact, the only classic World War I movie that I've seen that I can think of is Lawrence of Arabia.  But that is over 55 years old.  When I think of World War I in television and films, only the last Blackadder series comes to mind - though I'm sure there might have been a few others.  But I don't and can't understand why there hasn't been a recent big budget big picture concerning World War I - is it really because America's entry into the war was late and less meaningful than for the Second World War?  Shame.  I'll stick to the books for the time being - I want to read All Quiet on the Western Front, supposedly the greatest war novel of all time but somehow has passed me by.

No comments:

Post a Comment