Wednesday, October 17, 2018

State Initiatives

With the mid-term elections, also come a bunch of state initiatives that Washingtonians have to vote on.  And there are some interesting ones.  A carbon tax (the first in the nation) - and naturally "big oil" are spending enormous amounts of money on attack ads to stop this initiative passing.  I hope they fail.  A soda tax - actually an initiative to BLOCK future soda taxes after one was passed in Seattle.  Naturally, "big soda" are spending enormous amounts of money to get this initiative to pass.  Although I drink way too much soda, I'm not proud about this so I'm not averse to this tax.  An initiative to increase gun regulations - something any rational person should support.  And an initiative to improve police training and make it easier to prosecute police officers in negligent shootings.  Which seems sensible - despite my misgivings about what an increasingly difficult job that is to do well.  Another reason to want to become a citizen, so that I can actually have my vote on stuff like this (although I've never voted for anything in my life ever before!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment