Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Too Much TV

As my DVR capacity has crept up to over 50%, time to make some tough decisions on my viewing habits.  I tried watching the rebooted Roseanne last evening, but couldn’t get through it – in a very similar vein to Will and Grace, I was only an occasional viewer of the original and so the reboot doesn’t hold the emotional resonance or humor to me that it might do with others.  And with the new Spring TV season having started, my DVR is definitely filling up quickly.  There are some high quality programs that I will not drop under any circumstances – such as the last season of The Americans starting tonight – but others I should definitely lose.  For example, Suits is not really that good a program and only worth watching for the curiosity of seeing Meghan Markle, future princess.  There are a number of series with high quality casts but not overwhelmingly positive reviews which will probably end up unwatched on my DVR – such as Trust and The Terror.  I also have a number of films on my DVR that are not exactly must-see.  Thank god I don’t subscribe to Netflix or Hulu, because there are about a billion more critically acclaimed programs to watch there.  And apart from Catastrophe, I haven’t watched any of the series available to me on Amazon Prime Instant Video.  Unequivocally, the TV market nowadays is over-saturated and it is just impossible to watch everything I want to.  I miss the days of the 2000's when there was only a limited number of must watch TV events.  And when, seemingly, I had better things to do than watch mediocre TV. 

No comments:

Post a Comment