Friday, March 16, 2018

Stream of Consciousness

I’m writing this at 6pm, sitting at my desk in my cube in my very quiet and very empty office – myself and the cleaning/security people are probably the only people still here.  All the more depressing when there are gorgeous blue skies this afternoon/evening  - I did pop out for a walk earlier, and should be a nice sunset about the time I probably leave.  I would have left for home earlier, but it looks like there was a crash on I-5 so I’m waiting for my traffic app to tell me when the estimated time home is less than 35 minutes – which tends to be my trigger for leaving.  Been a tough week – busy, and still no developments in my job situation.  Though I have, again, been reassured that I will be moving groups and getting a new manager, and that an announcement to that end is coming in the next few weeks.  We shall see.  It can’t come soon enough – getting increasingly disillusioned with things here.  I suspect I shall continue to keep an eye out for San Diego jobs, no matter what else happens.  Also thinking that I need a break – I might take a couple of days off work at the end of next week so that I can decompress.  I quite like the idea of spending a few days in Portland, Oregon – but having just checked the weather forecast, that won’t be happening this time.  Canada is also an option, but I’m saving a long weekend to Vancouver or Victoria for one of the big US holidays – 4th July or Thanksgiving.  But seeing more of Oregon is definitely on my to-do list for this year, plus also I’d like to go to Chicago later this year – a city I’ve never been to before.  Plus a trip back to the UK this summer – something I’m definitely looking forward to.  A lot of this is wishful thinking – hope I can actually get off my ass and plan/get the most out of these trips!  My mood could also be affected by tomorrow’s sporting events – a big 6-pointer for Palace against Huddersfield, and then I hope at least England can stop Ireland getting the Grand Slam.  Don’t care that it’s St Patrick’s Day tomorrow – I’m sure there will be more drunks than normal out and about tomorrow evening, though thankfully not as many here as in some of the other US cities with a much more prolific Irish heritage.  And March Madness is currently going on – a sporting event that is inexplicably popular, and that I am wildly indifferent to.  I have, over time, acquired an appreciation for and enjoyment of professional basketball – but I can’t, and won’t, say the same about college basketball.  A check of my app reveals that my time home is down to 34 minutes, so I’m going to stop typing now and head home!     

No comments:

Post a Comment