Sunday, March 11, 2018

Getting Old

Today was the "iHeart Music Awards".  Nope, I didn't watch it.  But I saw 5 artists mentioned as performing.  2 of these I've heard of, but never actually heard their music (discounting Game of Thrones): Ed Sheeran and Maroon 5.  The other 3 I've never even heard of, let alone heard their music: Cardi B, Charlie Puth and Camila Cabello.  I am really getting that old?  I've never really been a chart music listening kind of guy at the best of times, but at least I used to have a passing knowledge of who is in the charts.  Now I don't.  I don't know whether that is a good thing - reflecting a more refined taste in music - or a bad thing - not in touch with contemporary music culture.  Someone like Lady Gaga is a big name - she even did a Superbowl performance - but if she passed me in the street, I wouldn't have a clue because I have absolutely no idea what she looks like.  I fear that I am most obviously showing my age when it comes to music - I haven't bought a new album for years, the artists I like the most are either dead, split up or haven't released anything good for absolutely ages, and even the contemporary "indy" music I wake up to on my alarm radio I am indifferent to.  I haven't even embraced the new methods of consuming music - I don't do Spotify, I don't listen to Sirius Radio, I don't do Apple Music, or any of the other streaming services.  If I start listening to NPR - America's equivalent to Radio 4 - then you have permission to put me in a home.

No comments:

Post a Comment