Saturday, March 31, 2018

Churchill

There have been several recent portrayals of Winston Churchill in TV and movies recently - notably an Oscar-winning Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour and John Lithgow in The Crown.  Today I watched the film Churchill, which starred Brian Cox in the titular role.  I haven't seen the others to compare against, but this seemed like a pretty good performance - focusing on Churchill in the days leading up to the Normandy Landings.  I know certain family members of mine took issue with some of the historical inaccuracies in the film Dunkirk, and I definitely wouldn't recommend them watching this film as I think a lot of liberties were taken in this portrayal of Churchill.  I don't believe he was nearly as antagonistic towards Americans, Operation Overlord, Montgomery, and everything/everyone else as the film would make you believe.  I thought the most interesting part of the film was finding out about Field Marshall Smuts, someone who I knew nothing about and who I had never heard of before.  It's those little things and those little details that have really stirred up my desire to become a self-proclaimed expert in some historical event.  Ideally something in the 20th century that I can read and research about.  That would be kind of cool, and maybe give me back some mental stimulation that I've been lacking for a long time.

And yes, I now own a battery-operated fabric defuzzer.  Good grief.       

No comments:

Post a Comment