Wednesday, November 22, 2017

T-Bone

So, this is what happens when a Tacoma truck blows through a red light and t-bones a Ford Fiesta:



I was lucky - just think how serious the injuries could have been had it hit my door rather than the passenger door behind me. 

It was a horrible commute - dark, wet and slow with lots of traffic because of Thanksgiving.  So I'd finally got off the freeway and was on my way home.  On the way is a 4-way intersection that I go through most days at least once - about 3 miles from home.  The traffic light is red so I'm stopped first in line, and then it turns green so I go.  Suddenly I see these headlights approaching me very quickly to the left (the driver's side!) - and the thought "Is this it?" flashes through my mind.  I don't remember much about any noises - whether of brakes or the actual collision - I just remember turning my head slightly to face the headlights before being struck and spinning round.  This is where time gets a bit hazy - I must've remained in the car for about 5-10 minutes, definitely shaken up and in shock - with my car horn beeping and my airbags deployed.  Gradually get my senses back - realize that I'm not seriously injured thankfully - and open the door to get out of my car before a woman tells me to stay seated whilst police and the paramedics are on their way.  I can hear another woman calling 911, and the woman who told me to stay seated is telling me she is a medic and to stay where I am, and that she saw everything and that I wasn't in any way at fault.  So it feels like ages that I'm just sitting there in the car before the police and paramedics turn up - they take all the statements and details from myself, the Tacoma driver and the many witnesses.  Finally they clear up the mess, I'm able to drive the car into the parking lot of a nearby corner store (where I parked next to the car that hit me - that didn't seem to have any noticeable damage - I just asked if he was the one who hit me, and he apologized and asked if I was OK, and there's where I saw that he had a young daughter in his car as well - I imagine it must have been quite traumatic for her as well), and once I get the exchange of information details from the policeman, I'm left to my own devices.  First call the insurance company and give them all the information I need to start the claim, and then call AAA for a tow truck to take me and my car home.  And after a long 2+ hour wait for the tow truck, finally get home late in the evening.

I'm a little sore today - I've got some bruises on my arm, a nice welt on my neck where the seat belt cut into me and some general soreness on my left side, but nothing that I think warrants medical attention.  Fortuitously.  What I've also regained is some faith in humanity - from the many kind people who helped me right after the accident, to the professional demeanor of the emergency services, to the nice insurance woman talking through the process, to the Pakistani guy working at the corner store who let me stay inside whilst waiting for the tow truck.  That was all quite touching - especially in light of having just gone through what could be considered a near-death experience.

I was told that it can sometimes take ages to deal with these type of insurance claims - but this has gone surprisingly quickly today.  Presumably they have spoken to the guy, who admitted fault and accepted the liability.  I think having the same insurance company probably helped.  So I've already had someone inspect the damage on my vehicle - and assessed that the cost of repairs is more than the cost of the car, so it's a total loss.  Which means goodbye Ford Fiesta, and hello new car.  Unfortunate that I've recently splashed out on new tires and brakes for it, but hey it is what it is.  I'm stuck at home now until I pick up a rental car on Friday, then I guess I've got to look for a new car.  I wonder if I can get something for good value in a Black Friday type deal?

 


1 comment: