Thursday, June 1, 2017

Reject The Future

So, Trump officially withdrew the US from the Paris climate agreement today.  A sad, sad day.  I don’t need to repeat all the criticism and protest already voiced, suffice to say that the symbolism is telling and that IMHO it’s an extremely irresponsible and extremely shameful decision.  Trump has done a lot of dubious things since assuming the presidency, and this might be the worse.  Expect this to be a big deal when it comes to protests and future campaign talking points – this is clearly a policy mistake, but I hope it is also a political mistake.  And an absolute disgrace.  As Neil deGrasse Tyson put it (if you don’t know who he is, the best comparison I can come up with is a non-eccentric American version of Patrick Moore) in one of the better tweets I saw “If I and my advisors had never learned what Science is or how & why it works, then I’d consider pulling out of the Paris Climate Accord too.”.  That about sums it up – Trump is listening to people like his Vice President, who doesn’t even want evolution taught as fact but as theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment