Saturday, June 24, 2017

Lack of Recognition

It’s been nearly 2 years since I returned to my company and my job, and in that time I have earned just one certificate of thanks.  Over the same duration, it seems like everyone around me has earned multiple certificates of thanks and value at work awards.  These all come with financial rewards (not insignificant – a value at work award can be worth $1000), so it is extremely disconcerting that I don’t seem to have been recognized and rewarded as much as a lot of my colleagues.  And it says a lot about either how inconsistently these awards are dished out by different managers, or how poorly I have been utilized since coming back (or how poor my performance has been?!  I think not.)  I do think it is suspicious that a lot of my Chinese colleagues – with Chinese managers – appear to have accumulated a lot of these rewards, whereas people like me have not.  And it says a lot about my poor relationship with my manager.  I had  a meeting with my manager’s manager last week, and did express a lot of my concerns (most of which he was aware of, because I had expressed those same concerns in performance review feedback at the end of last year).  And encouragingly, he raised the prospect of my changing groups and manager if things don’t get better rather than me.  I don’t think things will get better, so I hope my situation will finally change for the better later this year.  Though I fear too little and too late to make me want to stay in Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment