Sunday, June 11, 2017

Ginkgo Petrified Forest via Snoqualmie Falls

Took a drive over the Cascades to Central Washington today.  On the way, stopped at Snoqualmie Falls - a popular tourist attraction, and familiar as the waterfall in the opening credits for Twin Peaks.  I think it was just a bit misty in the early morning hours rather than a particularly strong flow, though certainly not bad.




And then headed to Ginkgo Petrified Forest in Central Washington.  Once you drive over the Cascades into Central Washington, it's like you're in a different world.  Generally nicer (and hotter) weather, lots of farmland, lots of space, and lots of pro-Trump signs.  Love the desert landscape of Ginkgo Petrified Forest, hated the fact that the trail map didn't match the actual trails so my hike ended up being twice as long as it really should have as I kept on going the wrong way.  Naturally there is no comparison between here and the Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona which I've been to a couple of times.  There, the views are amazing and the actual petrified wood is abundant and in the open.  Here, it is generally underground and the few exposed pieces are under these massive cages to presumably stop people stealing them.  I'm not sure whether the long drive was worth it, but reminds me that I need to escape Western Washington more often than I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment