Wednesday, June 7, 2017

An election?!

There has been absolutely zero coverage of the British election in American media.  I mean absolutely nothing.  The average literate American might know who Theresa May is.  Nobody here would have a clue who Jeremy Corbyn is.  And as for the Liberal Democrats, I don’t even know who their leader is.  It says a lot about how meaningful this election is, and unfortunately how other recent events have eclipsed it.  I think more Americans probably know who Sadiq Khan is than Jeremy Corbyn – thanks mostly to Trump’s baiting.  And I think more Americans would recognize Boris Johnson as that ridiculous buffoon during the London Olympics, or even Nigel Farage as Trump’s British buddy, over Jeremy Corbyn.  And the vast majority of Americans have absolutely no idea that there is an election in Britain going on tomorrow.  Given that, it’s impossible for me to make any solid predictions – I might stick my neck out and guess the Conservatives to win!  By how much is the question – if only the Labour Party had a more mainstream leader and manifesto, this might actually be a competitive election (Britain needs a charismatic leader like Justin Trudeau or Emmanuel Macron).  But when the only coverage I’ve seen here about Jeremy Corbyn is that he got an endorsement from Bernie Saunders, that says a lot.  This should be another chance, possibly the last chance, to do something about Brexit – but my impression is that people have sadly settled on the inevitability of Brexit, and if anything the election will only strengthen Theresa May’s impossible negotiating position.  What a sad state of affairs for a once proud nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment