Saturday, May 14, 2016

TV Cancellations

It’s that time of year when TV shows get cancelled.  And more often than not there is at least one show that I’m gutted to say goodbye to.  Off the top of my head, some shows from recent (?!) years that didn’t last as long as they should have – Terriers, Better Off Ted, Kings.  This year, I would say it would have to be The Grinder.  In a genre that traditionally contains more than its fair share of total duds – the ½ hour comedy – this was actually quite funny and quite clever, and I’m going to miss it.  And it is especially disappointing when you see some of the shows that inexplicably do get renewed and continue to air.  I welcome the advent of TV shows on streaming services like Netflix and Amazon, in addition to those on premium channels like HBO and Showtime, where the quality tends to be higher and they are not beholden by the ridiculous and hypocritical  rules in the US on regular TV regarding no nudity and no swearing but OK with copious amounts of graphic violence.  I actually haven’t renewed my Netflix subscription since moving back to Seattle, but when I do there are a ton of shows to catch up on that will take up far too much of my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment