Monday, May 9, 2016

Game of Thrones S6E3

This episode of GoT was dark.  I mean literally dark.  For most of the episode I was squinting at the screen, trying to make out what was going on.  I think I need to adjust my TV settings to brighten up the screen – I already get a lot of glare because my TV faces some windows, but I can’t blame this because the sun had already set when GoT was on.  It made what was already a frustrating episode even more so.  When the pacing of an episode is right, like last week, GoT is great.  However, when the pacing is wrong, like this week, then it makes for a more disappointing episode.  I came away from this episode thinking that nothing had really happened – none of the plotlines had any real significant developments, instead they just moved a few of them along at a glacial pace.  I think they could easily have cut down what happened in this episode to half the time, and get to the more interesting stuff like inside the Tower of Joy (has it ever been called that in the TV series yet?  Having not read the books yet – even though I own some of them - I think I’m getting that name from the internet, plus the important fan theory that will probably be proved with it).

Whilst we’re talking about Sunday night TV, here is a link to a terrific story by John Oliver.  I think it’s of particular interest to me because it’s in my field – scientific studies and the statistical inferences that can be made from them. 

     
I think, correctly, that the main focus of his ire is the media and the way they exaggerate and sensationalize scientific findings.  You can prove anything that you want if you collect and use the right data – which is why I hate it when people justify their opinions citing studies with the conclusions they want to hear (such as concerning climate change and vaccines), even if it clearly goes against the vast majority of scientific evidence and consensus.  This creates needless resistance to causes we, as a society, can and should address now.  I’m no activist, and I’m not much of an environmentalist, but I fear for the future of the human race.

No comments:

Post a Comment