Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Drinking

My eating habits are far from ideal, but I think perhaps that my drinking habits are even worse.  And I don’t mean that I go out (or stay in) and drink myself into a drunken stupor every night.  I don’t consume much alcohol at all nowadays – just treating myself to glass of red at home every now and then, and the occasional social beer.  No, my addiction is to soft drinks.  I drink far too many of these – and I am really struggling to reduce my intake.  It doesn’t help that we get free cans provided at work – so the temptation is always there.  And I don’t seem to have the willpower to say no – I’m sure there is probably some chemical that they add to these drinks with massive addictive qualities that keeps me coming back.  I don’t drink hot drinks like tea or coffee, so most of my fluid intake is through water or soft drinks.  And I have noticed recently that I am drinking a lot less water and a lot more soft drinks, and that is a disturbing development that I need to turn around.  I would probably drink more water in the form of squash if I could – but they don’t generally sell squash in the US so it can be difficult (and expensive) to obtain.  So I need to find some soft drink alternatives.  Living in Seattle – the home of Starbucks – I should consider coffee but I don’t really like the taste, so perhaps it is time to embrace my Britishness and to start drinking more tea.  If it’s good enough for Captain Picard, it’s good enough for me.  Tea.  Earl Grey.  Hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment