Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Leicester City

Leicester City - Premier League Champions.  Well I never.  What more can I say that hasn’t already been said - amazing and unbelievable story, and hooray to the underdog.  I can claim at least some affinity with Leicester having lived there for a year whilst doing my Masters - though I can’t remember whether I ever went to see a game (I think I only saw rugby matches rather than any football matches when I was there).  It has even made all the front pages of the American sports news - though I don’t think Americans really appreciate just what a fantastic story it is since there is no promotion or relegation in any professional American sports.  The greatest sporting upset/underdog story ever?  I don’t know.  The statistician in me says that whoever made the decision to give Leicester 5000-1 odds to win the league should be fired - those odds were just ridiculous. I don't know whether the following fact is really true, but this is great if it is:

Bookies say if Leicester win PL title then 5000-1 will be longest odds on any successful single event (not accumulator), any genre, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment