Sunday, May 15, 2016

Hikers

I managed to break my step record yesterday with just over 22,000 steps.  This was mainly due to going on a hike yesterday morning on something called the Lime Kiln Trail (which, as you might guess, contains the remains of an old lime kiln). It's a good trail, not too far away and just over 7 miles round trip and relatively flat, but it's also a popular trail.  So I was glad I got there early (8am) because it definitely started to get busier later on and the parking lot was full when I got back to my car.  However, because it is popular trail you invariably encounter 2 types of hiker who I do not like.  The first is the dog-owner who lets their dog or dogs off the leash - a pet hate of mine (literally - a "pet" hate if you will).  This trail was clearly signposted as saying that dogs should be on the leash at all times, but I encountered lots of dog-owners willfully ignoring this much to my disgust.  The second is the person who plays music through the speaker on their phone whilst walking the trail.  Very annoying when you encounter this person on public transport or on the street, let alone on a quiet trail in a middle of a forest.  Talk about disrespectful to other hikers and to nature.  Sadly, I've seen too many of both of these types of hiker in the Pacific NW.  

No comments:

Post a Comment