Sunday, September 13, 2026
NFL
The American football season started this weekend. Well, strictly speaking, it began on Wednesday (!) night with the Seattle Seahawks beating the New England Patriots in a low-scoring affair, and a rematch of last year's Superbowl. Cue the fireworks. I used to really love watching American football. I was a fan even before I first came to the US. But nowadays, I don't care for it much at all. It's a very difficult game to watch live, because of the constant commercial interruptions. It's a game where the teams are owned by rich assholes who don't care about their players (although this is a common occurrence across sports, it feels particularly acute in American football). And as with many other sports, an emphasis on changing the rules to make the game safer has also made the game more boring. It doesn't help that my team - the San Diego Chargers - doesn't even exist any more...