Wednesday, September 23, 2026

Spam

I am definitely receiving a lot more spam e-mails than I ever used to.  And it seems to be getting worse.  I wouldn't mind so much if those e-mails just ended up in my Junk folder.  But nope, some of them have started creeping into my Inbox.  I don't know how because they are clearly spam - some are not in English, some have attachments, some are just the most insultingly obvious phishing attempts.  Naturally, I think we have AI to blame - making it easier to automate sending out these e-mails.  But I think we also have to consider data leaks exposing my e-mail address - and I've definitely been a victim of data leaks, because I have received a few (very small) settlements from some of them.  Whatever the reason, it seems to me that the email providers (specifically, Microsoft) could do a lot better job to filter out this crap.