Monday, July 1, 2024

York

A travel day today, as I took the train up to York.  Why York?  I kind of wanted to visit a city with a bit of history.  The only thing I remember from visiting York as a kid was the smell of medieval poo on the Jorvik Viking Centre ride, and I know it has more to offer than that.  And first impressions from only the briefest of brief walks this evening are that I'm going to like York.  Reminds me very much of Bath, in that the city has just built up around it's history rather than draw attention to it.  And already walked past lots of atmospheric old pubs, which makes me wish I wasn't alone.  Unfortunately, as I'm greeted with cold and rain on my arrival, I'm reminded it's grim up north.  I was literally the only person just wearing a t-shirt.  Looks like it's going to be overcast tomorrow as well, which is a shame (though I'm sure it won't stop me taking loads of photos!).  What was surprising was how easy it is to get to York from London.  It was a less than 2 hour ride from King's Cross, on a pleasantly uncrowded train - and, shockingly, direct.  York was literally the first stop on this Middlesbrough bound train.  Nice.     


No comments:

Post a Comment