Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Medal Table

I've probably mentioned this before - indeed probably during the last Olympics - but the US inexplicably orders its medal table by total number of medals.  Whereas the rest of the world more sensibly orders it by the number of golds, number of silvers, etc.  So Americans are currently rejoicing that they are atop the medal table.  In reality, as I write this, even we are ahead of them in the proper medal table.  Though I'm sure that won't last.  And I maybe think that too much attention is paid to the medal table, with it's totally ridiculous imbalance between sports.  I can't get over that swimming has 37 different gold medals, which is way too many and more than double any other sport at the Olympics (apart from athletics - but I'm OK with that, since athletics is the GOAT of Olympic sports).     

No comments:

Post a Comment