Thursday, March 14, 2024

Pickleball

I always say to myself that when I retire, I will take up golf.  However, I'll be absolutely useless and so I'm not sure how much fun it will be.  Therefore, I have a backup plan.  When I retire, I will take up pickleball.  It is a stupid, stupid game - quite possibly the worst racket sport of them all.  Just the distinctly hollow, and loud, sound of the ball hitting the paddle makes me cringe.  However, it does seem to be very popular and, seemingly, the sport of choice for the elderly.  It is the sport that you normally see "mature" people playing in the far too many adverts for prescription medications on TV.  If I go for a walk round my neighborhood, it normally takes me pass some tennis courts that have been converted to pickleball courts.  And if I see anyone playing there, they're normally elderly.  And, from what I can tell, not very good.  I'm not bad at sports like table tennis, tennis, badminton and squash - which gives me confidence that I think I could become pretty good at pickleball.  Certainly a lot more so than golf - which I don't think I'll ever be good at.  I don't have a clue if pickleball is even a thing in the UK, but it is the official sport of the state of Washington.          

No comments:

Post a Comment