Friday, March 3, 2023

Graupel

I thought the last of the winter weather might be over after waking up to snow on Tuesday.  It was only a trace amount - a lot less than the couple of inches forecast - and quickly melted away.  But imagine my surprise when I came back from the office yesterday to be greeted with this:

I took the photo this morning, these little balls of ice hadn't melted yet.  I think this is graupel.  Or maybe not.  I cannot really tell you the difference between hail, graupel or ice pellets (and even more confusingly, ice pellets are called sleet in the US).  Either way, you don't get them that often.  This was an extremely localized event - on the drive back from work, I didn't see any evidence of this stuff coming down anyway else until I got to a few blocks away from my house.  And it was certainly not in any weather forecasts that I saw.  At least we might finally see some better weather next week.        

No comments:

Post a Comment