Thursday, February 2, 2023

Royal Rumble

It was the 2nd most important wrestling event of the year over the weekend - the Royal Rumble (behind, obviously, Wrestlemania).  I have a particular fondness for the Royal Rumble because it's one of the few WWE events that I can remember watching on TV in the UK many years ago (at the time, I think it may still have been called WWF - which just goes to show how long ago it was).  Traditionally, this has been a PPV event in the US - and I absolutely refuse to cough up any money to watch wrestling (apart from the one time I went to see a live event in San Diego), so I don't get to see it.  But these big wrestling events are now on a streaming service that I subscribe to (or, more accurately, comes with my cable TV service).  So I watched this year's Royal Rumble over the weekend.  Or, more accurately, I tried to watch the Royal Rumble over the weekend.  I couldn't get through it.  It sucked.  Professional wrestling sucks.  I think, shockingly, I may be over it.  Professional wrestling is not a sport, it's sports entertainment - the nearest America has to pantomime.  And I think, finally, I may be too old for it now.  That's probably about 30 years too late.  But better late than never.  So although I might still occasionally scan the wresting headlines, I don't think I'm going to watch it on TV ever again.     

No comments:

Post a Comment