Sunday, September 13, 2020

TV Recommendation

With the dearth of new programs, I'd say there is only one must-watch show on my radar at the moment - The Vow.  No, it's not some sappy teenage rom-com.  This is a documentary about the modern day cult NXIVM (pronounced Nexium).  It's a fascinating inside look at how it worked.  And based on the kind of courses offered by HR at my company, and many other companies throughout the US, you can see how this might have drawn in a lot of rich and successful Americans - they just lap up this kind of personal wellness and self-empowerment shtick.  I think the leader of the cult comes across like a really pretentious douchebag, but the slow build to his downfall is enjoyable.  I won't spoil things too much here, but if you don't know any of the story then the reveals are absolutely shocking.  I had seen some of the headlines at the time of the trial, but knew none of the details.  With my healthy dose of pessimism and skepticism, I don't think there is any chance I could ever join a cult.  Not that they would want me.      

No comments:

Post a Comment