Monday, October 14, 2019

Sails Out, Nails Out

Since it aired it’s season 2 finale yesterday evening, let me once again wax lyrical about Succession.  It is just a brilliant show that more people should be watching.  I’m going to say that even after only 2 seasons, it has already cracked my top 10 of favorite TV shows ever.  And if we have a couple more seasons just as good as Season 2, then I think this could easily be a top 5 or even a top 3 show.  Everything – the characters, the plot, the dialogue, the pacing, the acting, the cinematography – is fantastic, especially for the outstanding 2nd season just concluded.  For the last 10 weeks, it has been by far the program I’ve most looked forward to watching, and the one that I most look forward to reading about on the internet afterwards (mainly for the mutual love of the show, particularly by TV critics).  I’m going to desperately miss it until the 3rd season.  I don’t think it’s coincidence that this happens to be an American show with a British creator – and a British creator with some great comedy chops (a writer on The Thick Of It, creator of Peep Show).  Which makes the humor on Succession extremely dark and extremely scathing, extremely beneficial for a show that is as much drama as comedy.  A lot of critics have described it as Shakespearean – which I’m OK with, better that than Game of Thrones, which it has also been compared to and which I consider this to be altogether better rounded and satisfying.  I thought Game of Thrones might be the last box set I ever get – maybe not now.  If you’re a betting man, put some money down on Succession winning a lot of awards next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment