Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Rent vs Buy

I've been thinking a lot recently about wanting to own my first home.  But after doing some internet searching over the weekend, I'm having second thoughts.  The simple fact is that I don't think I can afford the kind of home I want.  I maybe need to lower my expectations - that might mean something smaller, something older, or something a lot further out.  I don't know how enthusiastic I am with compromising, when I'm relatively happy with where I'm renting now (despite it's faults - but then I'm almost guaranteed to find something to complain about wherever I live!).  So I think I'm going to stay put for the time being.  But this is still quite dispiriting.  The perils of being single with only one income.  And the perils of living in an area of the US where the cost of living and the cost of housing has skyrocketed over the last decade.  Maybe for the best, as I think I'm totally inadequately prepared for owning my own home - having no DIY skills, no electrical skills, no plumbing skills, and generally no maintenance skills whatsoever.   

No comments:

Post a Comment