Friday, October 18, 2019

Another work event

Although all the upper management of our company has been overhauled, we continue to do these occasional “celebrity” events at work.  And this week was another one – and it featured an interview with Malala Yousafzai.  Of particular note, this one was held in one of our UK offices (Stockley Park, which I don’t really know where it is apart from somewhere near Heathrow) which suggests that my company’s UK presence is bigger than I thought it actually was – I think we also have an office in Cambridge.  And it just goes to show that even Nobel Peace Prize winners can be corporate sellouts (I wonder how much she was paid for this gig).  Obviously I don’t doubt her credentials as a documentarian, assassination survivor and now activist – but my oh my this interview was so boring that I stopped watching after about 10 minutes.  Perhaps because I knew more of her story from her UK presence than your typical American.  Perhaps because the interviewer, who was some uppity UK employee with a double-barreled surname whom I’d never heard of, was awful.  Perhaps because I am a selfish and unsympathetic jerk.  But now I’m kind of interested to watch her interview by David Letterman in his Netflix show last year – to see if it is any better.  She strikes me as the kind of person who is better communicating by actions rather than by speech. 

No comments:

Post a Comment