Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Share Price

Depressingly, my company has lost 20% of it's share price since the start of the year.  And thanks to my enrollment in the employee stock purchase plan and my tendency to hang on to the company shares after they have invested, this 20% decrease has a significant affect on my net worth.  Which is not good.  I don't want to be working in my 60's.  But with the way things are going - the economy, the increased retirement age, the increased cost of living, my dubious investment choices - it seems inevitable that I will not be able to retire early.  And by the time I retire, I don't imagine I'll be in the best of health.  Which is why I really want to take some time away from work sooner rather than later, while I'm in relatively good health.  I really wish my company offered a formal sabbatical like I know at least one of our competitors does (6 weeks sabbatical after every 6 years of employment, which I really approve of as a benefit).  I might still put in a request for a leave of absence when I turn 50 - but that comes with risks.        

No comments:

Post a Comment