Monday, April 15, 2024

I Hate Streaming Services

I knew that streaming services had introduced an ad-free tier.  Yet another needless expense.  But what I didn't realize until this weekend is that the "standard" tier doesn't come with the best quality audio and image quality (such as Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos).  You have to pay for the ad-free tier in order to get these.  That is definitely not something they openly announced.  And this never used to be the case.  I wanted to catch up with Season 2 of Reacher on Amazon Prime (a good series, much better than the Tom Cruise films)  - but not only did I have to endure ads, I had to watch it without Dolby Vision (which I think my TV supports) and without Dolby Atmos (which my soundbar definitely supports).  Extremely disappointing.  And I discovered this issue wasn't just specific to Amazon Prime, but the same thing is going on with Max (HBO).  And if I subscribed to Netflix, the same deal.  What a ripoff.      

No comments:

Post a Comment