Saturday, April 13, 2024

Gentrification

While out for a lunchtime walk at the office recently, came across a house being torn down.  

Made me sad because this single family home will probably be replaced by 4 of 6 soulless apartments or townhouses.  Because that is what has happened throughout this neighborhood.  Gentrification at it's worst.  There's not enough parking, the cost of housing is ridiculously inflated (not that I would ever want to live in this neighborhood), crime has gone up, and the neighborhood has lost all it's character and charm.  I've just discovered that a woman was attacked by 2 dogs recently in a part of the neighborhood that I often walk through.  And, surprise surprise, the dogs were living in a car with a homeless guy.  Because the presence of lots of RVs and homeless people is also a massive problem here.  I've actually noticed a lot of security cars driving round the vicinity of the office recently - I think the building owners, who also own a lot of the other buildings round where I work, must have taken notice of the neighborhood changes.  Or makes you wonder if something else happened...    

No comments:

Post a Comment