Thursday, January 25, 2024

Work

Not good news from work.  I think my plan of wanting to take a sabbatical in a few years time is becoming increasingly less feasible.  We were told at a meeting this week that basically my department is putting a hold on new hires, and won't necessarily even replace employees who leave.  So if I request a leave of absence, it either won't be granted or there won't be a job for me when I'm ready to return.  It's a thoroughly depressing state of affairs.  So if I want to take some time off work when I turn 50, which is something I really want to do, then I'm probably just going to have to resign.  Maybe that's not a bad thing - I don't like the direction my job is going either.  It seems like we are increasingly outsourcing more of the kind of work I do to India.  So my role will start to become more about oversight of other people's work rather than doing the actual work myself.  Which is not what I want.  And that's only until AI eliminates my job entirely.  That seems to be case of when, rather than if.  And I'm not even joking about that - at this meeting they presented a timeline of when they expect AI to take over some of the tasks.  Which is extremely disturbing.       

No comments:

Post a Comment