Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Mystery

One of the great mysteries of our time - of all the high street closures, how on earth is WHSmith still in business?  I don't get it all.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't sell anything meaningful - and nothing that you can't get cheaper at other high street retailers or newsagents or one of the supermarkets.  Or online.  So who still shops there?  And what do they buy?  Stationary?  Books?  Really?!  I used to buy magazines there long ago - but when I popped in one the other day, the selection was pitiable.  I get it, magazines are dying out (as are, arguably, stationary and books).  So what else is there?  And yet, I see that they still have over 500 high street stores.  I can perhaps understand that WHSmith has more of a market as a convenience store at places like airports and railway stations.  But as a high street retailer?  Nope.    

No comments:

Post a Comment