Saturday, September 16, 2023

My Mum, Your Dad

It seems I have an uncanny ability to time my visits back to the UK for some truly trashy television.  Last time it was The Traitors , and this time it is My Mum, Your Dad.  And My Mum, Your Dad is incredibly lame, and tame (I've never watched a single episode of Love Island, but I imagine this is a very watered down version of that).  Both shows share a weird dynamic of gentle solidarity between contestants, when more competitiveness and combativeness might make for better TV.  And a dating show featuring older contestants is not unique nor a particularly great selling point.  My god, even the long-running Bachelor franchise in the US is currently gearing up for The Golden Bachelor season coming up, featuring a 72 year old bachelor looking for love.  As if it couldn't get any worse.      

No comments:

Post a Comment