Saturday, June 17, 2023

Septic Tank

My house has a septic tank.  I didn't know how a septic system works until recently.  But the nightmare has happened, and my system is not working.  I first noticed this a few weeks back, when after taking a bath the water wasn't draining properly and bubbles were coming up from the toilet.  I hoped it might just be a blockage, but feared it might be the septic tank.  And after mentioning it to my landlord, he has been digging in the yard and discovered that there is a problem.  What is basically supposed to happen in a septic system is that all the wastewater runs into a septic tank, the tank separates the solids and the remaining effluent exits into a drainfield where it discharges as groundwater.  However, apparently the pump that is supposed to pump the wastewater from the tank to the drainfield wasn't working.  So the tank was filling up - almost to the point of overflowing.  So if I hadn't said anything, this could have been disastrous - we are talking about my yard being flooded with sewage.  So the pump should be getting replaced in a few day's time, and I think my landlord is also going to take the opportunity to empty the septic tank - something that was probably overdue anyway.  It is going to cost him a fair bit of money, but it could have been a lot worse.  The only problem in the meantime is that it absolutely stinks outside right now.  Like that kind of rotten egg smell that makes your eyes water.  No wonder I haven't seen the rabbits around for a while now - though apparently the moles love the smell because LOADS of molehills have started popping up everywhere.  They have apparently taken this opportunity to launch an all out offensive.  Yes, I am at war again.

No comments:

Post a Comment