Friday, June 9, 2023

Fridays

Beginning this week, we are mandated to come into the office 3 days a week.  A ridiculous mandate that I totally disagree with – there should not be a “one for all” rule for everyone to abide by.  It is entirely dependent on job function, position and location.  I for one don’t need to come into the office at all to do my job – given the choice I would still come into the office, but only when I choose to do so.  The other ridiculous “strong recommendation” is that we come in on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday – because they are the designated “core collaboration” days.  A totally meaningless descriptor.  Of course, because this is a recommendation and not a mandate – I am choosing to come in Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.  In the hope that the Friday commute would be better (it wasn’t) and that it would be a lot quieter in the office on Friday and I could actually get some work done (it wasn’t, and this was particularly frustrating because there was literally only one other person in one of the cubicles near me who also came in today but who decided to take a teleconference at their desk – totally ruining any chance I had of some peace and quiet).  So frustrated by this – especially since we’re not supposed to have meetings scheduled on Fridays.  I don’t know if this is a one off or not – but if it isn’t then I have to do something about it.  I could see whether Monday is any better than Friday, but something I have previously asked about was to move cubicles.  And I am increasingly thinking this is something I have to do.  A hassle – particularly since I’ve been in my particular location for quite some time, and I think the other primo cubicle locations are already taken.  But people have come and gone, new people have moved into the cubicles around me, and frankly they all have their little quirks that get on my nerves.  Yet another of the many things making me really fed up with my job right now. 

1 comment:

  1. Very American, a cubicle, don't see that in the UK or Europe - it's all open plan offices here

    ReplyDelete