Monday, June 12, 2023

Fool Me Twice

I had another go today at trying to improve my TV and audio setup.  And once again it drove me crazy, and only reinforced my belief that I need to get a new TV.  The problem is that I have too many inputs - cable box, PS5, Nintendo Switch, and my multi-region blu-ray player.  Plus my soundbar.  Now my current TV does in theory have enough input slots to cover this - but what I've discovered is that I can't use all these devices in these input slots.  If I plug my cable box into my TV, then it messes up the audio for other sources.  And if I plug my Nintendo Switch into my TV, then it doesn't output surround sound audio to my soundbar.  To get round this issue, instead I have to plug at least my Nintendo and cable box into my soundbar.  But my soundbar only has one input slot, so I've had to buy a HDMI switcher in order to be able to connect more than one device to my soundbar.  This is all an unnecessary pain in the ass which only results in absolutely tons of wires behind my TV.  And a far from perfect setup, where I can only get the audio to work properly on apps and other devices when I make sure that the cable box is not sending a signal to my TV.  A new TV should fix some of these issues, as will cutting the cord and getting rid of my cable box.  But unless I'm overlooking something - not exactly something beyond the realms of possibility - things really shouldn't be as complicated as this.  Surely there is a market for TVs with built-in quality audio to at least the same level as a decent soundbar setup - eliminating the need for all this nonsense faffing around.          

1 comment:

  1. I doubt the TV is the issue - assuming you didn't purchase something v. cheap - which, knowing you, you didn't.

    From your cri du coeur above, I suggest you focus your attention on the cable box - get a replacement from provider FOC.

    ReplyDelete