Sunday, June 11, 2023

Everything Everywhere All at Once

I finally got round to watching Everything Everywhere All at Once this weekend, a film which had been lingering on my DVR for ages since I recorded it months ago.  Despite it being one of the most awarded contemporary films (winning loads of Academy awards), I had no idea what to expect.  And it didn't bode well from 2 failed previous attempts to watch it when I fell asleep in the first 10 minutes, and a depiction of Chinese-Americans - not exactly my favorite race.  But I stuck with it this time - and it is a film that you need to concentrate on because there are subtitles and a lot going on - and what did I think?  Well, I was prepared to be disappointed - but nope, it hooked me in and it turned out to be an amazing film.  Very unique, very imaginative and difficult to categorize - science fiction, family drama, martial arts, comedy,.... so many genres, yet it somehow worked.  The kind of excellent depiction of multiverses that Marvel can only dream of.  I don't know of any film that can include a conversation between 2 rocks, a spoof on Ratatouille and a universe where humans have hot dogs for fingers.  The film was divided into 3 parts (Everything, Everywhere, All at Once) - and I think the 45 minutes in Part 2 Everywhere might be some of the best cinema I've seen in a long time.  Just destroyed me emotionally - I think because some of the themes particularly resonated with me.  This film is one that I need to rewatch - because it is an assault on the senses, and so much to take in.  Highly recommended - 4.5 stars.        

No comments:

Post a Comment