Monday, December 5, 2016

Winter Storm Advisory

A “Winter Storm Watch” warning we had has just been upgraded (or downgraded?) to a “Winter Storm Advisory” – cold weather and precipitation is not a good combo in Greater Seattle.  It was snowing this morning, but nowhere near cold enough for it to settle.  But it is getting colder tonight and tomorrow, so may have to cope with icy roads on the commute tomorrow – which will not be fun (there is a bit of a hill up to where I live, and I’ve heard that it can get icy and the police will shut it down to traffic when it gets really bad, though have yet to experience that).  I don’t think I’ve blogged about the “Puget Sound Convergence Zone”, which is an additional risk because now I live close to that.  This is a phenomenon whereby the air flow kind of splits around the Olympic Mountains W/NW of Greater Seattle and converges in a narrow band on the other side – and apparently that convergence zone is often in the vicinity of where my home is.  I’ve experienced it a bit before – so it’s been raining where I am, but clear just a few miles away – so presumably the same thing could happen with snow with worse consequences.  At least I’m not at too high an elevation – I have a friend who lives in Bellevue who lives higher up, and he had to work from home today due to the road conditions.  So, I guess I’m going to have start taking my work laptop home with me most days this week, just in case I need to work from home the following day.  I don’t normally do that (I don’t like to bring my work home unless I absolutely have to – and I think I’m one of the few people left who do that, so I’m very old-fashioned!), and I hate working from home, so the last week before my holidays might not be very constructive! 

No comments:

Post a Comment