Sunday, May 26, 2024

The Greatest Spectacle in Racing

They call the Indy 500 - which is raced every Memorial Day weekend - the "greatest spectacle in racing" or the "greatest show on wheels".  It isn't.  Admittedly, I don't watch much Indycar racing, because I find it about as uninteresting to watch as I find Formula 1.  And some of the race that I caught today only confirmed that.  And the Indy 500 traditions can't redeem the tedium of the race - the kissing of the bricks, the chugging of milk, whatever.  But this wasn't the only race today.  We also had the Monaco Grand Prix - which I didn't bother watching, because even by Formula 1 standards it's an absolute procession.  And we also had the Coca-Cola 600 in NASCAR - which as I write this blog (about 8 pm) is currently under a rain delay, one of my pet peeves with this type of motor racing.  Making the longest race of the NASCAR series even more ridiculously long.  And totally unwatchable.  As with a lot of other sporting events, I've got into the habit of recording NASCAR races, so I can fast forward through all the adverts and most of the racing - only watching the interesting parts, which in the case of motor racing is the crashes.  And, recently (and amusingly), the fights between drivers.         

1 comment:

  1. If you want to get into something genuinely interesting in the "motor" pantheon, get into the Isle of Man TT.

    Total fuckin' balls of steel, those riders - none of your 4 wheeled with umpteen safety features crap.

    ReplyDelete