Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Mercenary

I didn't know this could be done.  Someone in my department left their job without telling anyone.  One day they were at work, the next they had gone.  No farewell lunch, no card, no goodbye e-mail, and I only found out because the IT guy told me they were asked to disable his account.  Possibly he told his fellow Chinese colleagues, but not anyone else – it didn’t help that his manager was not based here.  This was an interesting case – this guy had left before, but came back less than a year later because the job he moved to sucked.  Sound familiar?!  I don’t know how long he was back, but it feels like less than a year before he moved on again.  To god knows where (though since there are only 2 companies similar to our one in the area, and he already tried one of them, I can probably guess).  This is classic mercenary behavior – he’d better enjoy the new job, because I don’t think he’ll have a 3rd opportunity to come back again.  I sure as hell wouldn’t welcome him back with open arms again.  I won’t particularly miss him – he came back at a higher level than me, and a higher level than he deserved to be.  But this is a sad reflection of my lack of ambition and how much out of the loop I am nowadays on office gossip and the various comings and goings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment