Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Reg Dwight

Last month it was Condoleezza Rice being interviewed as part of a lecture series at my company, this month things have taken a bit of surreal twist with someone even more famous.  Sir Elton John gave a little talk and performed a few songs this afternoon!  I knew he did private functions, but I always presumed they were parties hosted by rich folks – so apparently our company can afford to shell out a few bucks (7 figures?) on Sir Elton!  But there is some justification – our company is heavily involved with developing and selling HIV drugs, so there is a lot of synergy (yikes – shoot me now for legitimately using this word in a sentence) with his AIDS charity.  Would love to have been in California to have seen him in person (looked like a big crowd crammed into the company auditorium!), but had to resort to watching via a video feed.  He talked about AIDS and his charity for a bit and then performed a few tunes (Tiny Dancer, I Guess That’s Why They Call It the Blues, Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me) before leaving.  Was hoping for a few more songs, but I’ll take what I can get and he can still sing and play the piano as well as anyone else.  And thank god – no Candle in the Wind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment