Saturday, October 21, 2017

Blade Runner 2049

Blade Runner is one of my favorite films - definitely in my top 10, maybe even in my top 5.  So naturally I wanted to watch the long overdue sequel - and this finally happened today.  And I have to say, I really liked it.  It's obviously not going to be as groundbreaking and as much of a classic as the original (there are only 2 sequels that have ever matched the original - Godfather Part 2 and Aliens).  But it was a great tribute to the original, and a good film in itself.  Great sound design, looks great (as any film does which has Roger Deakins as the cinematographer), a worthy continuation to the original and I would highly recommend watching it on the big screen.  I watched it at the Cinerama in downtown Seattle - and one of the few films that I've been to where there was a spontaneous round of applause when it finished.  And make sure you use the restroom before you watch it - it flew by, but it's a good 2.5 hours long!

PS We still don't get an unambiguous answer as to whether Deckard is a Replicant or not.  It seemed pretty obvious from the original that he was, and there is nothing to suggest otherwise in the sequel.  But still, one of the great sci-fi questions of our time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment