Sunday, July 19, 2026

Superbowl 60.5 As It Happened

World Cup final?  More like Superbowl 60.5.  I almost missed the game because the starting times for these World Cup matches have been all over the place, and I assumed it started at the same time as the England game yesterday.  Nope, that would be too easy.  And it meant I missed the American national anthem before the game.  Because obviously that has to be sung, even though the US is not in the final.  Because this is the Superbowl.  The winners are even getting Superbowl rings.  I wonder if they showed a shot of Trump saluting during the anthem - which is always insulting, because he is a draft dodger.  I'm looking forward to seeing if he is going to ruin the medal ceremony and celebration, just like in the Club World Cup.  

Obviously I'm supporting Spain.  I hate Argentinian players and Argentinian fans.  I respect their passion for their country and the game, but far too often they cross the line into something ugly.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, Argentina are the masters of the dark arts.  You just need to see the way they niggled the England players and intimated the referee in the semi-final.  And they committed the cardinal sin of mixing politics (the Falkland Islands) with the beautiful game.         

It's halftime.  Got to say I'm not really watching the game much, it's not particularly exciting.  Seems like it's mostly Spain controlling possession, but no real clear cut chances.  Not unlike the England-Argentina game.  So I guess this suits Argentina for some last minute heroics.  I've already been distracted by YouTube, so I paused the game and now I'm about 30 minutes behind the real game time.  I'm turning off my phone because it will flash up the final score before I'm ready.  At least I can fast forward all the half-time nonsense.  Including the Superbowl-like half time show and Alexi Lalas' useless analysis.  He is up there with hydration breaks as one of the worst things about this World Cup.

This game needs a goal.  Or a red card.  Or something.  I mean we're 80+ minutes in and Argentina hasn't registered a shot on goal yet.  I think I've got more of a chance of getting a golden boot than Messi.  I hope this doesn't go to extra time.  I've got chores to be getting on with.  I'm sick of all this drone footage and ref cam - adds absolutely nothing to the coverage.  Other than a distracting drone shadow across the pitch.  It's kind of sad that the American audience has to be reminded that there is no golden goal.  And they keep on displaying this match momentum plot during every game, that has to be one of the most useless football stats I've ever seen.    

And so we go to extra time.   And Argentina down to 10 men.  Did you see the way all their players were surrounding the referee after the second yellow card.  That's the kind of thing I hate them for, and I thought it was the kind of crap that FIFA were trying to cut out of the game.  You somehow still feel that if they can hold on for penalties then they will win.  Do you reckon Trump is going to hang around for another 30+ minutes?  They haven't shown many shots of him during the game.  I have no doubt he has been "resting his eyes" during the game.

Into extra time.  It looked like Spain had a perfectly legit goal disallowed.  Just going to show more Argentine bias throughout these knockout stages.  This definitely feels like it's going to penalties.  Despite all of Spain's possession. Spain might have a worst record in penalties than even England.  They have to really push for a goal.  And it is perhaps their achilles heal that they don't have a decent reliable striker.

GOAL!  Thank god.  Finally Spain have broken the deadlock.  20 shots on goal versus 0, they deserved it.  Now Spain, don't do an England.  Don't sit back, don't become defensive.  They've controlled the ball, and that's what they need to keep on doing.  Now is the time for some tiki-taka football.  Is there one bit of Messi magic left?

Nope.  Congratulations Spain.  You were the most consistent team in the World Cup, certainly defensively, and probably deserved it.  Though I think we could have given you a good fight.  And look at the bad sportsmanship from the Argentinians after the final whistle.  Why am I not surprised.  Bad losers.  

It's going to be tough to come up with other things to blog about after this World Cup...